Monday, May 31, 2010

excess information

A casual scribble

When in Garbyang I realize how much little information we get about the world outside of our village. I read somewhere that the information contained in a single edition of New York Times today is more than the knowledge accumulated by a person in his entire lifetime, living in the 17th Century.
I don’t know whether to feel pity or feel happy for our people back there. Infact when in city I find it impossible to keep track of all the things happening around me. Sri Sri Ravi Shankar shot at last evening, West Bengal train attacks, Attacks at a mosque in Pakistan, train accidents, Dantavada Naxal problem, Bihar Govt changes blah blah. So many official and personal email every morning, new friends on the facebook. Infact I have almost stopped reading the four newspapers that arrive on my desk every morning besides the one that comes to my house. In fact I am unable to keep pace with the way the things are progressing.
Maybe it is a case of overflow of information becoming my excuse for not actually making an effort to keep up with whats going on – because its a convenient escape route.
Not keeping in touch with friends because we are too busy, not writing enough emails like we used to send letters earlier. Each one same exuse.
When in city you are suddenly busy and you can not miss those emails, you have to reply to them and then you have to take and make all those important calls and attend those meetings. Go back home, you have hardly anything to do, except attend the shimi tankho, sai thoumo, socializing etc.
So relaxed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home